Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Alchemist

I just finished reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. The story was um...how can I say it...simple yet deep. Di bukunya, ada bagian favorit gue -->

The alchemist say: "You must understand that love never keeps a man from pursuing his destiny. If he abandons that pursuit, it's because it wasn't true love...the love that speaks the Language of the World."
[...]
"I'm going away," he said. "And I want you to know that I'm coming back. I love you because..."
"Don't say anything," Fatima interrupted. "One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving."
But the boy continued, "I had a dream, and I met with a king. I sold crystal and crossed the desert. And, because the tribes declared war, I went to the well, seeking the alchemist. So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you."
The two embraced. It was the first time either had touched the other.
"I'll be back," the boy said.
"Before this, I always looked to the desert with longing," said Fatima. "Now it will be with hope."
[...]
Fatima went back to her tent, and, when daylight came, she went out to do the chores she had done for years. But everything had changed. The boy was no longer at the oasis, and the oasis would never again have the same meaning it had had only yesterday. It would no longer be a place with fifty thousand palm trees and three hundred wells, where the pilgrims arrived, relieved at the end of their long journeys. From that day on, the oasis would be an empty place for her. From that day on, it was the desert that would be important. She would look to it every day, and would try to guess which star the boy was following in search of his treasure. She would have to send her kisses on the wind, hoping that the wind would touch the boy's face, and would tell him that she was alive.
[...]
The wind began to blow again. It was the levanter, the wind that came from Africa. It didn't bring with it the smell of the desert, nor the threat of Moorish invasion. Instead, it brought the scent of a perfume he knew well, and the touch of a kiss -- a kiss that came from far away, slowly, slowly, until it rested on his lips.
The boy smiled. It was the first time she had done that.
"I'm coming, Fatima," he said.

2 comments:

Cygyt said...

Yoooooo.......
That was a great story... it has a very profound meaning in it and I kind of recalled a similar story... Must be DeJavu;P
A'int it? Well, y'know... I'm always gonna be your li'l bro... and I wish nothing but prayers so that happy dream might come true to you... You deserve it...
and btw, I did read the messages after you left... that's why... ahem...........
Well... gtg...
Peace

Anonymous said...

it is a great book isn't it? he's one of my very favorite authors..

w